Tuesday, March 11, 2014

View From My Writing Instrument Six

I've been invited to speak to elementary schools to high schools to colleges. Writing isn't what I do. It's what I live. Why wouldn't I want to help the closet writer lift their creative flow toward a brighter sun? Through writing I've helped major businesses locate success. Couples use my words as their wedding vows. Song lyrics to posted notes. I was just as much afraid as you are. But who opened that platform? I've written six book. The seventh currently under construction. What helps a writer give birth to thought isn't ego. But the drive to help other writer's discover the freedom of being creative. The idea of getting up every morning to write was fully furnished by Julia Cameron's book The Artist Way. Chasing a career. Had left me empty. As did the teenage fantasy marriage that was supposed to last fifty plus years. Creative minds don't require mountains to block their visions. Life provides its own shade. Writing three pages. That's Julia's way. She calls them morning pages. I call them bleeding. Not many people accept that. Yeah...try getting that one by a classroom full of creatively starved writers searching for every reason why their imaginations won't let them go. So I changed the title of what I do...to broadcasting. Pen to paper. Fingertips to keyboard. Communicating is broadcasting. I live and breathe the broadcasting industry. So why not just punch out the holes and give myself another label? The writing side of personality doesn't agree. The only thing lower than a used car salesman and a nightclub manager is a radio disc jockey. Ouch. They're two completely different personalities and learning to work out their indifferences is what daily writing introduced to me to. What about the chef that happens to think he or she is a professional bowler? How about the seamstress whose fantasy is to manage a hair salon? No person is born with one idea. Yet we live our lives like it's supposed to be unbelievably focused. Writing helps you sort out the candy from medicine. The most brilliantly conceited people on the planet couldn't stand sitting on the same sofa with their true self located just to the right. Persona is everything in 2014. The visual of who we are constantly having to do battle with what others assume. Now toss onto the plate of refried beans...the image in the mirror that can't stand the fact that everybody around you is making a ton of money. Or that they're enjoying the limelight of success. Thirty five years in radio. 51 years a writer. What is success? It's pretty much like love. No matter how hard you try to remain faithful. Temptation is a text away. Sexual frustration in my book is an writing artist vowing to be heard. The writer has been labeled a pain in the dream come true. Therefore it lives silently inside dark caverns located somewhere between your belly button and muffin top. Being unwanted and un-needed is everybody's worst fear. Why then do we do it to the writer living within. Don't tell me you can't write! I don't want to hear that its extremely difficult. I can't stand it when people look at an itty bitty journal page and sweat huge bubbles of beads. Admit it. You're afraid someone will read what you have written. It takes guts to write. To begin and end a thought is brave inside a world of Twitter addicted Face Book freaks steaming over a bad day at work. Yet barely a one realizes that nobody cares about perfectly edited sentences and paragraphs. What you write isn't being viewed by space aliens dressed up to look like Jesus. Honestly...the only people that will say something about your writing are the foolish people you guilt tripped into reading your writing. They have to say something, "Oh I know. You suck." Daily writing but verbal vomit. That's hot. Poured over a thin sleeve of a once living tree. Just between you and me. The tree is still alive. So alive that it will extend its loyalty to man far beyond your final touch. You've watched Pawn Stars. They feature books hundreds of years old. I know who wants that? Then why do you take so many pictures with your smart phone. If you're gonna cut yourself off from drawing the real picture. Words written about you, the experiences and adventures. Then stop taking pictures. Because once you're gone. It'll be nothing more than digital trash and someone you love very much is gonna have to go through your phone and erase the selfie photos. Hopefully none of them will be of body parts. I mean that's how you treat your writing self. Like they've done something nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment