Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Interviewer Un-labels Family

Interviewer: Your concept of family doesn't necessarily fall into the same definition as to what's printed in a dictionary. The term "Family" gets lost. I picked up on that really early. Before being set free as a teen. It sits inside hardened caverns without having to face the essence of its existence. Family is the explanation. "I can't do what I want because someone doesn't approve." Or... "I'd never do that because it would take me away from." Life with all its character faces enjoys sticking out its Murf shaped head then whispering, "You could've been." Hearts and emotions are easily sold. Dreams don't grow. Stagnant is the demand to move up and outward away from five or six generations of nothingness. We're fat with laziness and blame bosses, jobs, friends and lovers for our shortcomings. But hardly if ever family! I love my parents and siblings! But to sit on top of their shoulder's the failure of my success is totally unfair to them. I hear every excuse from every walk and pay scale, "Our reasons for living in a shack made of straw and mud has to be the fault of outsiders and family." How dare we think that way! I've been accused of selling out so many times that the Going Out of Business sign company knows me by my first name. The reality of it is simple: If I hadn't given life a swift swirl...would my family look at me as a could've of been? Interviewer: What does that mean selling out? Some see it as turning your back or walking away from the foundation that kept you warm in the middle of winter. I make it clear, "I'm always here." Just because we aren't hoisting beer and wine to our lips during a late Saturday afternoon in the backyard doesn't qualify as a family quitter. The hardest thing about life isn't making the decision to seek your own rooting system but trying to figure out how to slow this stuff down. It felt like a lifetime to hit graduation and only 30.2 seconds to reach fifty one in years. Interviewer: When is it time to go back home? To the green green grass. Where all those songs from the 1970's were written about. No morning passes that I don't pick up the smart phone to see if someone in the family has left a message. The moment the decision to stop chasing dreams becomes the new found reality...is the "Goodbye" life requires when rebooting the booty away from those friends that have become closer and more understanding than family. I don't have a problem being with family. I just wish that being part of a family was a little more like a game of neighborhood baseball. All the players line up on one side of the street and you get to pick who you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment